This recipe from Plant-Based Cookbook amplifies the already hearty portobello mushroom to a whole new level. An all-natural twist on the traditional Vietnamese sandwich, this flavor-packed burger will put a meat-tasting kick to your plant-based meal.
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Serving: 1 sandwich
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Juice of 1 medium lime (2 TB)
TB reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground ginger
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 small daikon radish, peeled and shredded (1 cup)
1 medium carrot, shredded (1/2 cup)
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup water
1 TB sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
2 TB plant-based mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise
1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
4 (4-in; 10 cm) crusty baguette rolls, split
½ English cucumber, thinly sliced<
Cilantro leaves (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, tamari or soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, garlic powder, and ginger
2. Wipe each portobello mushroom clean with a damp paper towel, place mushrooms in a zipper-locked plastic bag, pour in lime juice marinade, seal the bag, and shake gently to distribute marinade. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, gently toss daikon radish and carrot.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine rice vinegar, water, sugar, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt.
5. Pour vinegar mixture over daikon and carrot, stir, and set aside for about 30 minutes.
6. In another bowl, whisk together plant-based mayonnaise and Sriracha hot sauce.
7. Heat a grill to direct, high heat, or set a grill pan over high heat on your stovetop. Place mushrooms on the grill, gill side down, and cook for 3 minutes. Turn over mushrooms, and cook for 2 more minutes or until mushrooms are juicy and tender.
8. During the last minute of mushroom cook time, place baguette rolls on the grill, split side down, and toast.
9. Drain pickled vegetables in a fine-mesh strainer.
10. To assemble sandwiches, spread ¼ mayonnaise mixture on one side of each roll, and add a layer of English cucumber slices. Place 1 portobello burger on each sandwich, and top with ¼ drained pickled vegetables. Garnish with cilantro leaves (if using), and serve immediately.
Discover more recipes in Plant-Based Cookbook.