This delicious, step-by-step Mary Berry recipe will guide you through a foolproof starter. From Mary Berry Cooks the Perfect, these mini savoury tarts are easy to make with filo pastry – there’s no rolling out, and its crispy texture makes a great contrast to the soft, creamy filling. You can prepare the tin and filling ahead.
1 large red onion
20g (¾oz) butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 large egg
150ml carton double cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
15g (½oz) rocket leaves
25g (scant 1oz) Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
25g (scant 1oz) mature Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
25g (scant 1oz) butter, melted
2-3 large sheets shop-bought filo pastry
4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
4-hole Yorkshire pudding tin
1. Finely slice the onion. Heat the butter and oil in a large, non-stick frying pan until the butter has melted. Add the onion slices and fry over a medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring only occasionally, until soft and caramelized. Remove the onion, drain on kitchen paper, and set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 190°C (fan 170°C/375°F/Gas 5).
2. Prepare the filo pastry cases: brush a little of the melted butter in the hollows of the Yorkshire pudding tin. Using a sharp knife, cut 16 squares, measuring 11x11cm (4½ x 4½ in), from the filo sheets (how many you get from each sheet depends on the brand of filo). Layer up 4 filo squares per hole, each at an angle to the previous squares, brushing melted butter and sprinkling thyme over each one. Scrunch up the pastry edges to add a bit of height.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg, then stir the cream and some salt and pepper. Roughly chop the rocket, setting aside just a few leaves for garnish. In a separate bowl, combine the two cheeses.
4. Carefully spoon the onion into the pastry cases. Scatter over half the cheese and the chopped rocket. Pour in the egg mixture, then top with the rest of the cheese.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the filling is just set and starting to turn golden brown at the edges. Remove from the tin and serve warm, garnished with the reserved rocket leaves.
Featuring more than 100 exciting new recipes, Mary Berry Cooks the Perfect is bound to delight any lover of food. For each recipe, Mary identifies the crucial bit to get right to guarantee best results, then demonstrates it with step-by-step instructions. She reveals the secret to crisp pork crackling and melt-in-the-mouth salmon, how to bake a feather-light cake, and the key to a super-crunchy crumble topping. To make things even more delectable, each book comes with an exclusive tote bag, perfect to carry ingredients home before whipping up a meal.