This one’s a favourite for a reason. Bake something delightful with this step-by-step Mary Berry carrot cake recipe with cream cheese topping. Simple and delicious, this classic recipe from Mary Berry’s Complete Cookbook is sure to result in the perfect carrot cake every time.
Cuts into 9 squares
458 calories each
150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
250g (8oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
150g (5oz) light muscovado sugar
60g (2oz) walnuts, coarsely chopped
125g (4oz) carrots, grated
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp milk
250g (8oz) low-fat soft cheese, at room temperature
2 tsp clear honey
1 tsp lemon juice
chopped walnuts, to decorate
18cm (7in) square cake tin
1. Lightly grease the cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. Combine all the cake ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until thoroughly blended. Turn into the prepared cake tin and level the surface.
3. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for about 50 minutes until the cake is well risen, firm to the touch, and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
4. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack, peel off the lining paper, and leave to cool completely.
5. Make the topping: mix together the cheese, honey, and lemon juice. Spread on top of the cake and sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For more Mary Berry recipes, including classics like chocolate cake, Devon scones, coronation chicken, salmon en croûte, chicken pie, and hundreds more, discover Mary Berry’s Complete Cookbook.